Please note that all relevant links are highlighted
The Migraine Association of Ireland is a registered charity – Registered Charity Number CHY 11252.
The Migraine Association of Ireland (MAI) is committed to complying with the Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising.
The MAI fully complies with the Principles of Good Governance as outlined by The Governance Code (a code of practice for good governance of community, voluntary and charitable organisations in Ireland) and is listed on the Register of Compliance on www.governancecode.ie. Please click here for the MAI Statement on the Principles of Good Governance. MAI was shortlisted for the inaugural Good Governance Awards in 2016 for our Annual Report.
Please click here for the 2015 Audited Accounts
- HSE Section 39 Grants and the Department of the Environment’s ‘Scheme to Support National Organisations’ (SSNO) pay 100% of staff salaries, therefore no fundraised money is used to pay for salaries
- The CEO’s annual salary is €60,000 per year, no additional bonuses are paid and no increments have been paid since 2008
- MAI does not have a pension scheme
- No special allowances are paid to staff e.g. Away from Home Allowances, Maternity Benefits, etc.
- Like other voluntary organisations, MAI suffered substantial reductions in funding throughout the recession, but has substantially reduced running costs since the cuts began through membership of Group Schemes with The Wheel and DFI
- MAI work is also supported by occasional corporate funding in the form of unrestricted educational grants, which are governed by a strict code of guidance.
- MAI has the A Standard on the Boardmatch Transparency Scale
MAI Board Members
Name: Mary King (Chair)
Date Appointed: 26/10/2011
Experience: Credit Management Consultant and member of the Governing Authority of UCD.
Name: Ian Swanton (Treasurer)
Date Appointed: 25/08/2014
Experience: Chartered Accountant and Financial Controller of a diverse range of private companies.
Name: Audrey Craven
Date Appointed: Ex Officio
Experience: President of MAI, immediate Past President of both the European Headache Alliance (EHA) and the European Federation of Neurological Association (EFNA) and internationally acknowledged patient advocate.
Name: Lynn Geldof
Date Appointed: 17/04/2012
Experience: Teacher, Journalist and retired international civil servant.
Name: Derek Bell
Date Appointed: 04/11/2013
Experience: Business Consultant and served on numerous other charitable boards.
Name: Gobnait Lucey
Date Appointed: 20/05/2014
Experience: Long time active member of the Cork Migraine Awareness Support Group
Name: John O’Riordan
Date Appointed: 20/05/2014
Experience: 30 years business sales experience, involvement in youth work and a long term active member of the Cork Migraine Awareness Group.
Name: Esther Tomkins
Date Appointed: 26/08/2015
Experience: Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) at the Migraine Clinic, Beaumont Hospital
Dr Paddy Daly – Former Clinical Director of the Migraine Clinic in St. Vincent’s Hospital, Dublin
Dr Edward O’ Sullivan – Clinical Director of the Migraine Clinic in University Hospital, Cork
CNS Esther Tomkins – Clinical Specialist from the Migraine Clinic in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin